Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Arrival



And so it begins. After surviving two annoying, fat, Italian kids that took turns slapping and kissing each other while simultaneously arguing about who should be playing spiderman on their PSP, waiting hours in Cincinnati for my second plane to change its tires and then having that very same plane burn the tread off while doing donuts on the JFK tarmac for several hundred minutes, running to catch my third plane as they were closing the door (Home Alone style), and then lugging my four pieces of luggage across Prague--I'm finally, more or less, safely nestled in my dorm at Charles University ready to start the Summer School of Slavonic Studies. The accommodations at Kajetánka dormitory are spartan but I have a great view and a cool new roommate from Belarus who's willing to share his wifi and show me the places to get "cheap food and beer". Now that I'm here, I have around three days to explore the city before my classes start. I'm planning on doing the normal touristy stuff while also trying to get a lay of the land and how the transit system works. I'll try my best to keep you all updated.

-Alex

4 comments:

  1. That room looks like it could use bunk beds--so much more room for activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty nice room....but what i want to know is, have you purchased a bag for groceries yet? i don't want you to not blend in. lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaksimash (sp?) Hope you are well dear nephew. It is very very hot in Nebraska but of course that is August for you. Prayers are heading your way that you are getting comfortable with your new roommate and your surroundings. Keep up the postings, you writings are hilarious!
    Love you much
    Randy & Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex! It's grandma and I am enjoying reading all about your travels so far. Will be praying. I love you!

    ReplyDelete