Friday, August 6, 2010

Czech Lessons






Have you ever sat in a classroom and felt as if the teacher were speaking in another language? That maybe you had accidentally walked into the wrong room, were having a mild nightmare, or were possibly the victim of some elaborate practical joke? If you have, than you know exactly how I felt on my first day of Czech lessons at Charles University...except I guess in my case, the teacher was actually speaking in an entirely different language: Czech. When I sat down in class last Monday, I expected the four and a half hours of class to consist of a Czech teacher who spoke in English giving my classmates and I an overview of the Czech alphabet, maybe some vowel and consonant pronunciations, and perhaps, if we were all doing well, some simple vocabulary words. It was a beginner course for English speakers, how bad could it be? I was mistaken, it turns out it could be pretty bad. Shortly after I set my pen on the desk, the teacher, Hanzo, began speaking Czech. No English, just Czech. He spoke at least as fast as an auctioneer and sounded about twice as foreign as a Japanese game show. I sat and stared at him like I would a Spanish soap opera, it sounded nice but I didn't understand a word. Pretty soon the words that were streaming from his mouth started to sound like questions, and worse yet he was looking at me. I knew that I wouldn't be able to give him the answer that he wanted to hear, but I had to say something in Czech to maintain any shred of credibility I had with my new students and teacher. I reached into my limited Czech vocabulary and chose the word "prominte" (excuse me) hoping that that could buy me some time. The teacher repeated what he had said earlier, only slower and with greater diction, I had to think fast. This time, after several minutes of flipping through my five dollar english-czech two-way dictionary, I answered with "nerozumím, jsem z Americky" (I don't understand, I'm from America). The teacher then rolled his eyes and skipped me, (a reaction I've grown familiar with in my years of schooling). It ended up being the most difficult first day of any class I've taken in my life, the teacher didn't even speak English for the first forty-five minutes. Since that first day, I've slowly begun to pick up words here and there and have spent quite a bit of time studying on my own. So I'm learning, just very slowly. And although the classes aren't any less difficult, they've become more manageable. It's very much an international classroom (1 from Israel, 3 from the U.S., 1 from Japan, 1 from Taiwan, 1 from Italy, 1 from France, and 2 from Greece), and all of my classmates are pretty sharp. I'm definitely the dunce in my class but a dunce in a room full of egg-heads is still pretty bright, (or at least that's what I keep telling myself).

The pictures with this post were all taken right outside the place where I go to school, with the second to last being my actual school building. It get's pretty easy in the third hour of class to stop paying attention and stare out the window at Prague.

Once again, thank you for all the comments.

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Alex! In another few weeks, you'll be speaking Czech with the best of them, and wondering why you thought it was such a challange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remembering how Baba and Great-Grandma sounded when they spoke Czech to each other I can't imagine how you are feeling. I think it is a neat language to hear and I am anxious to see you again so you can give us a little lesson. I think Grandma remembers a few words so that will be fun.
    Most of the pictures look quite gloomy (the weather anyway) what is the season there now?
    Have a great weekend and don't drink too much beer.
    Love you
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex......I'm having fun reading your blog. I want to use your blog to show my second graders places around the world. Thinking of you and I admire what you are doing. Take Care Karen Gruener

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. My first day of Czech lessons at Charles University a couple years ago was by far the best class I have ever had ... The teacher basically said, "The first thing you need to know about Czechs is that they like beer ... so, let's all say each others names and head to the pub." AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog Alex! Great pictures and you have such a way with words, "A dunce in a room full of egg-heads is still pretty bright." That made me smile. When you were talking to your dad yesterday on the phone, I was with your family, since I was hitching a ride to Seth's wedding with them. Your mom told me how to get to your blog. I will enjoy reading of your adventures and I will pray for you! Nancy Kincanon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex! This is Hannah and Candy Huston. We are gonna stalk your blog now :) haha! We anticipate poorly spelled and poorly grammered blogs from you in the near future! Přejeme Vám nejlepší !

    Czech with ya lata! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Language immersion is what that is called. They claim a language is learned faster that way. You will definitely have to keep us posted on that one. You can teach those of us following you a few words at a time. Love your blog.

    In the pictures, are those overhead wires in that criss-cross fashion?

    ReplyDelete