Saturday, August 14, 2010

Things that Terrify me #2



This is the door to my room at Kajatanká dormitory here in Prague. Aside from being the regular entrance into my private chambers, it was also my first impression of the place where I would be living for the next month. It terrifies me. It doesn't scare me for the half-torn stickers with foreign sounding words, or the text sharpie-ed onto it bathroom graffiti style. I'm not even frightened by the male genitalia so carefully and painstakingly applied to it by some unknown artist, etched in like home-runs on the bill of some fat little-leaguer's baseball hat. What's terrifying to me is that two of the three are crossed out like lost lives in a poorly executed game of pac-man. What went on in this room that required three phalluses to be applied to the door and two of them to be x-ed out like naughty kids on Santa's list? I don't want to know or need to know, but it scares me.

In other news, class is going well and I've been having a great time here. I'm going to try to get some more posts up next week on several different topics. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Your mind is working overtime on that one and I definitely have no interpretation of my own.

    I told your dad the other day you are offering me a virtual field trip of the Czech Republic with your blog - I check every day for a new post. (I know that sounds silly since this note is two days late, but I was not sure what type of comment I wanted to leave). This one will have to suffice. Until next post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex nothing about this place so far has appealed to me. I don't know how to explain it but the photos are grayish in color and the place is very cold looking. Not very homey. I think I would be a bit depressed yet you seem to be enjoying yourself. I am so happy! Can't wait for school (teaching) to start for you where you are bound to have more interesting tales to tell.
    Keep up the postings, I do live vicariously through you.
    Love
    Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alex. You always make me laugh with these posts. You are one creative guy!

    ReplyDelete